Monday, July 21, 2014

Girlfriend Watches StarWars Ep. IV for first time Ever, I live tweeted her reactions


A few months ago my lovely girlfriend and I were watching TV when the new trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug came on.  Then this conversation happened:

GF: Babe, what's the Hobbit?
Me: Seriously?
GF: Well, I know it's a movie, but...
Me: Do you know the Lord of The Rings?
GF: Those movies, I never saw them, yeah....
Me: (facepalm) Well, those were based on some books by J.R.R. Tolkien, and the prequel to all those is actually The Hobbit, which Peter Jackson, the guy who directed the LOTR movies, is now making into 3 separate movies, we just watched the trailer for the 2nd installment.
GF: Oh. Ok.

About 30 seconds go by, until I start thinking.

Me: Babe?
GF: Yes.
Me: Have you seen the Star Wars movies?
GF: Yeah... I think so... (tilts head and thinks) umm... Yeah I'm pretty sure.
Me: Hmmm, so which one was your favorite?
GF: I like the one where the guy dies at the end but comes back.
Me: (scratches head) Ok... I guess... wait, which guy?
GF: You know, not Spock, but the other one.

At this point I stand up and start pacing...

Me: Oh. no no no no no no no no no no
GF:  What? What is it?
Me: That's... not... it's just... no... Yeah that is Star Trek, and the newest one at that.
GF: Oh, ha.
Me: Yoda? Luke? Darth Vader?
GF: (blank stares)
Me: We're breaking up*

*did not actually say this

Needless to say, my mind started racing.  I mean, these movies practically defined who I am if not at the very least a system of quotes for which my older brother and I use to communicate.  I understand, she's a few years younger than I am, and the oldest of her siblings, so it stands to reason she wouldn't have seen them.  Either way, I set out to correct this, as well as about 50 other movies (in my DVD collection alone) that she hadn't seen that were important for me.

So finally a few weeks ago, she finally said, "babe, we should watch Star Wars." Me being the movie dork that I am didn't want to do it unless it was at the right time.  Plus, if I'm honest with myself, I was a little nervous that she might not like them and I'd have to rethink many choices in my life.  Her taste in movies, certainly isn't bad, she just tends to like unknown  b-movie horror movies (not that there is anything wrong with them) that we drag up on Netflix.  I can't watch these movies, because, I'm a total wimp and I don't like the nightmares and the heebeegeebees right before bed they give me (but that's a whole other blog post).

So, finally, last week, we watched A New Hope and because I thought it might be fun for others to see this, I live tweeted the experience, which I've collected below.  It was such a great experience for both her and I that we will be doing Ep V and VI (probably will have to break her hear with I, II and III as well) so that we're ready for VII.  Who knows, we might even branch out to other movies.  I'm also trying to convince her to let me post videos of her "priceless" and "animated" reactions.









1 comment:

  1. Awesome, she's taken her first step into a larger world!

    ReplyDelete